We started the week with record-setting rainfall during a 2hr period Monday afternoon. Close to 100mm of rain fell on downtown Toronto in those 2 hours which caused significant flooding to many parts of Toronto, including Liberty Village and surrounding areas.
Subscribe to our eNewsletter!
Join our popular eNewsletter list. Receive monthly updates on all the fun stuff happening in Liberty Village, Toronto's best neighbourhood.
If you are unaware of this significant weather event, please read this.
Some of the local problems this epic rain event caused were:
- huge pools of water at the train overpass on Ling West between Sudbury and Atlantic Ave
- huge pools of water at Strachan and East Liberty
- 5 Hanna (Liberty Market Building) and 43 Hanna (Toy Factory Lofts) both had there ground floor flooded and parts of their 2nd floor
- some damage to the underground parking lot at 65 East Liberty
- damage to various units in 59 East Liberty
There were intermittent power outages to most of Liberty Village on the Monday evening and a 4hr blackout to most of Liberty Village’s condos and townhouses on Tuesday. This was a result of Toronto Hydro’s “rolling blackouts that affected approximately 50,000 Toronto residents. Also affected were Rogers services (briefly) and a lot of people’s central air conditioning (still).
Liberty Village residents have proven that they are a resilient group. Let’s hope the rest of the week is a bit more uneventful!